- Teachers - please read these notes before piloting or reviewing these mini-lessons
- Prep for Goal 1 Multiplication
- Discussing Facts Fluency with Students (FactsWise Introduction)
- Mini-Lesson 1.1 Exploring the x10s with Manipulatives (video 4:06)
- Mini-Lesson 1.2E Exploring the x10s with Manipulatives
- Mini-Lesson 2.1: The x10 Game with Manipulatives (video 3:20)
- Mini-Lesson 2.2E: The x10 Game Closure (video 0:25)
- Mini-Lesson 3.1: x10 Number Talk (patterns and strategies)
- Mini-Lesson 3.2E: x 10 Number Talk Closure (patterns and strategies)
- Mini-Lesson 4: Clap Facts (fluency practice; video 2:44)
- Mini-Lesson 5: The x10 Game Revisited (fluency practice)
Mathematics Educator and FactsWise Creator
About the instructor
After Valerie completed her dissertation research at UC Irvine in 2004, she began a pilot project to investigate strategies for teaching basic facts that would go beyond flashcards, worksheets, and timed tests. By 2006, these strategies had been piloted, revised, and research demonstrated dramatic differences between control and FactsWise students.
Valerie balances her time as a lecturer in mathematics education at UC Irvine with her commitment to share what she has learned about how to help students develop basic facts fluency, part-whole thinking, and flexible number sense through FactsWise workshops.